In this series named “Let’s build a Magento 2 store”, I’m going to be creating an eCommerce Store using Magento 2 from scratch. And I’m going to tailor the store to selling cases for eyeglasses. This gives me a great set of options for creating variable and personalised products.
The project will consist of a few key stages. Firstly, I need to plan what products and variations I plan to sell on the website and how I want to categorise and market them. Because this is a fictional store, I’ll have to create a completely fictional database of information for the eyeglass cases that I wish to sell – And that will probably be something I do off-camera, but I will share what I have put together.
The next stage will include installing and configuring Magento 2 for my fictional business requirements. And the third key stage will involve setting up the store to provide my fictional customers with the best possible shopping experience.
A quick heads-up: It’s unlikely that I will put as much post-production into these videos (compared to my tutorials) just to cut down on the time it takes to get these videos up. Also, I’ll be trying to keep the videos in the series under the 20-minute mark (but we’ll see how that goes).
Let’s build a Magento 2 store: reference materials
- Eyeglass Cases CSV File (Hosted on Google Sheets. Select “File > Make a copy…” or “File > Download as csv”)
- Images of Eyeglass Cases (Hosted on Google Drive)
- Images of Custom Swatches (Hosted on Google Drive)
Episode 1: The Plan!
So, I’m going to start off this first episode by telling you a little bit about my fictional business. I probably haven’t accounted for all of the questions that I’ll need to answer along the way, but I’ll give it a good go.
Knowing these details before even starting to build an online store is absolutely critical, as it lays a plan for the journey you need to take and helps you make decisions more effectively. I’ve lost count how many times I’ve spent a few days working on something only to change my mind and do something else because it didn’t quite fit in the bigger picture.
Episode 2: Setting up a web server
In this episode, I’ll be showing you how to set up a Magento 2 web server using a web host company called Nexcess. You can find a link to their services in the video description.
- Check Front/Backend of Magento 2 loads correctly
- Whitelist IP to enable SSH/SFTP login
- Update passwords
- Forward domain nameservers
- Replace default Magento 2 admin account
Episode 3: Coming soon…
Latest posts by Craig Nammontri (see all)
- Let’s build a Magento 2 store from scratch - 9th February 2018
- The reality of upgrading from Magento 1 to Magento 2 - 21st January 2018
- Your First 30 Days Using Google Analytics - 6th November 2017