Can't install Magento 2.3 (The server requested authentication method unknown to the client)

Hi,
i have been struggeling with this install portion i’m so close but yet so far. to the problem: when i try to finnish step 2 adding a Database it gives a error wich i tried to solve but that didn’t work can you help me?
error: SQLSTATE[HY000] [2054] The server requested authentication method unknown to the client

System: CentOS 7
Database manger MySQL 8.0.15
PHP: PHP 7.1.26
Apache: Apache/2.4.6 (CentOS)

I’ve not come across this issue before, but I suspect that it’s an issue relating to usernames/passwords.

Please, can you answer the following:

• What instructions are you trying to follow ("…step 2 adding a Database…")?
  • Where is the error message being displayed and what are you doing which makes it appear?

This step in the web setup.
When i try to click on next the message apears and i can’t seem to fix it.

You shouldn’t be using root to access your magento database. You should setup a separate username. This might be your issue. You should follow Chapter 4 in this tutorial for best-practice.

Depending on your repository, you might not be allowed to access databases this way via a “root” user because MySQL have increased their security practices in their latest versions.

luckily it was literally as simple as changing the database server username to the one i created.
Thanks a lot for helping me!

1 Like