How to Update Magento 2.3.3 to 2.3.4

Can anyone help me to update Magento 2.3.3 to 2.3.4?

This is only a Minor release, so the update is pretty straightforward. However, in order to answer this question correctly, please share the following (The answer may vary based on these 2 question.):

1. How did you originally install your copy of Magento:

2. Is this your first upgrade?

Method A: Update 2.3.x to 2.3.4 via Composer

Assuming that you’ve been following along with my guide (as referenced above), then you can just go along and follow the Official Magento Documentation. Which would look something like this:

Important Notes (Read first)

1. All commands should be executed from within the Magento root directory as the Magento user.
  2. There’s a few extra steps I’ve added that aren’t laid out in the page I’ve referenced. However, I adopt these as part of my routine.
  3. If prompted for keys during the Update, refer to Chapter 3 (Obtain your Magento Access Keys) of my guide (see link above)
  4. Ensure that you check for typos before running these commands. Everything should be good, but I’m only human.
  5. Always backup before updating/upgrading
  6. Always test in a Development Environment first

Step 1: Put your store in Maintenance Mode, so customers can’t interfer

bin/magento maintenance:enable

Step 2: Backup your Store/Server/Database via your preferred method

Step 3: Run the composer command to fetch the latest version (2.3.4)

composer require magento/product-community-edition=2.3.4 --no-update

Step 4: Run the composer update (this will also fetch any available 3rd party modules where updates are available

composer update

Step 5: Clean the Magento Cache

bin/magento cache:clean

Step 6: Manually clear generated content

rm -rf var/cache/* var/page_cache/* generated/code/*

Step 7: Update Magento Database and Schema

bin/magento setup:upgrade

Step 8: Recompile Magento Code (If in Production Mode)

bin/magento setup:di:compile

Step 9: Deploy Static Content (replace en_US with your locale reference)

bin/magento setup:static-content:deploy en_US -f

Step 10: Clean the Magento Cache (I always run this immediately after a Static Deploy command)

bin/magento cache:clean

Optional: Clear Varnish (if applicable) May have to run this as a root user

service varnish restart

Optional: Flush Redis (if applicable)

redis-cli flushall

Step 11: Disable Maintenance Mode, so customers can visit the site

bin/magento maintenance:disable

Method B: Update 2.3.x to 2.3.4 via Web Setup Wizard

Personally, I find the Web Setup Wizard slow and a bit hit and miss.

Step 1: Backup your Store/Server/Database via your preferred method

Step 2: Log into the backend System > Web Setup Wizard > System Upgrade

If you run into any issues relating to your personal setup (e.g. 3rd party module conflicts), please start a new post outlying your issue in detail.

2 Likes
  1. How did you originally install your copy of Magento: Using this guide [How to install Magento 2.3 and build a web server]

2. Is this your first upgrade? - Yes

I’d recommend Method A then. If you’re prompted for a Key, just use the same one when going through the original guide.

I use Method A but Magento version is the same as 2.3.3. All steps were successfully run.

Also, use Method B but there is an error in Checking Component Dependency
Below message received…

We found conflicting component dependencies.

For additional assistance, see component dependency help .

Method A ran perfectly for me the other day when I was recording for tonight’s video.

If Web Setup Wizard ever fails a dependency check, without giving an actual reason - Then in my experience 10/10 times it’s because there isn’t enough PHP memory_limit available. Your hardware/environment needs an absolute minimum of 2G to hot hang/stall/crash. You’ll find lots of references to the memory_limit in this forum. Just search for “memory_limit” and you’ll find answers answers on how to increase this.

2 posts were split to a new topic: Package is abandoned, you should avoid using it (After running composer update)