Magento 2.4.0 (Need to know highlights)

Watch

Introductuction

In anticipation of the Magento 2.4.0 update, I found myself reading through the Official Magento Release Notes. - Of which I found some pretty interesting points (amongst the plethora of notes) that I feel should be made a bit more known. So, here are the “Need to know highlights” that will likely affect you and your store.

This release includes all the improvements to core quality that were included in Magento 2.3.5-p1, over 100 new fixes to core code, and 30 security enhancements. It includes the resolution of 226 GitHub issues (currently there are still ~1,400 outstanding).

I’ll say this now, rather than leave this to the end: I personally won’t upgrade to 2.4.0. I consider it too “high risk” to update to the latest “large” update as it could include significant bugs. Instead I’ll stay on the 2.3 branch until version 2.4.1 or 2.4.2 is available, which should include a lot of bug fixes that “early adopters” will run into and report. You don’t have to do this yourself, but I just wanted to remain transparent.

Need to know Highlights

So, here are the need to know highlights…

Two-factor authentication (2FA) is now enabled by default for the Magento Admin

Admin users must first configure their 2FA before logging into the Admin through either the UI or a web API. 2FA is enabled by default and cannot be disabled. This extra step of authentication makes it harder for malicious users to log in to the Admin without authorisation.

PHP 7.4 support introduced and PHP 7.1 and 7.2 deprecated

Magento 2.4.0 introduces support for PHP 7.4. All testing of 2.4.0 has been done on PHP 7.4. You can still install Magento 2.4.x with PHP 7.3, but we recommend using PHP 7.4.
(This does not mean you’re 3rd party modules are automatically compatible. You’ll always be held back by the last module you run that requires the compatibility changes)

Elasticsearch 7.x support

The latest Elasticsearch 7.x version is now the default catalog search engine for Magento Commerce and Open Source. Elasticsearch version 2.x code has been removed, and Elasticsearch version 5.x has been deprecated. Elasticsearch v6.8 is still supported in Magento 2.4.0 (and 2.3.x).

MySQL 8.0 support

Magento 2.4.x supports MySQL 8.x. (Magento 2.4.0 was tested with MySQL 8.0.20.) Merchants are encouraged to migrate their deployments to MySQL 8.x to take advantage of its improved performance, security, and reliability. Although MySQL 5.7 is still supported for Magento 2.4.x, MySQL 5.6 is no longer supported. You cannot host Magento 2.4.x with a MySQL 5.6 database.

Removal of the MySQL catalog search engine

The MySQL search engine has been removed from Magento 2.4.0 and replaced as the default search engine with Elasticsearch.

MariaDB 10.4 support

Support for MySQL 8.0 provides the opportunity for merchants to deploy MariaDB 10.4 with Magento. Although merchants can still use MariaDB 10.2 with Magento 2.4.0, we recommend upgrading to MariaDB 10.4 for improved performance and reliability. MariaDB 10.0 and 10.1 are no longer supported (as a result of removing support for MySQL 5.6 in this release).

Removal of the core integration of the Signifyd fraud protection code

This core feature is no longer supported.

The core Braintree module has been removed from the code base

The Braintree Payments module now provides the same feature set.

Removal of core integration of third-party payment methods

With this release, the Authorize.Net, eWay, CyberSource, and Worldpay payment method integrations have been removed from core code. Merchants should migrate to the official extensions that are available on the Magento Marketplace.

Support for partial-word search for Elasticsearch (new default search engine)

Elasticsearch now supports the use of partial words in search terms for product names and SKUs when using quick search.

Deprecation and removal of the Web Set Up Wizard

You must use the command line to install or upgrade Magento 2.4.0.

Multiple optimizations to Redis performance

The enhancements minimize the number of queries to Redis that are performed on each Magento request.

Magento Media Gallery

This replacement for the former Media Gallery offers a brand-new, searchable interface for Magento media assets. Administrators can now search, filter, and sort images up to 30x faster than they could in the earlier version of this feature.

Inventory Management

Inventory Management enhancements for this release include support for in-store pickup and bundle product support.

Final Words

There are a ton more Release Notes for Magento 2.4.0 and you should take your time to read through them. Once 2.4.0 is available, I’ll be producing 2 videos:

1. How to Upgrade Magento 2.3 to 2.4 on Ubuntu (This will be aimed at anyone who’s been following all of my previous tutorials
  2. How to install Magento 2.4 and build a web server (This will be for anyone starting from scratch)

So, keep an eye out for those in the near future.

7 Likes

I have Braintree fully configured.
Now in 2,4 it will be removed.
Do I need to reinstall Braintree and reconfigure it completely?
My developer asks 2000US$ for installation plus local payments.

That is too much I can help you.

Hi @Marco_Messing and welcome.

If you go through all of the patch notes, there is this line - Which suggests that you can just swap it out with the Official Braintree Module:

With this release, the Authorize.Net, Braintree, eWay, CyberSource, and Worldpay payment method integrations have been removed from core code. Merchants should migrate to the official extensions that are available on the Magento Marketplace.

Therefore, I’m not convinced it’s a big deal. Just swap it out before you upgrade. Plenty of time.

1 Like

very informative. thank you. I think I’ll be holding off as well.

1 Like

@Marco_Messing Are you serious??? $2000? You need to change the developer.

Good info, although I shall wait for couple of weeks until all the bugs have been resolved and then migrate/upgrade. However, CLI is more comfortable and easy than Web Setup.

1 Like

Definitely

100%. Albeit, there are probably most Store Owners here stepping outside their comfort zone than Devs. So it’ll be somewhat intimidating for them to make the change. It almost forces the Store Owners to hire Developers/Agencies… Hmm, maybe that’s their ultimate plan to get more clients to their Adobe/Magento Partner Agencies… :thinking:

1 Like

@digitalstartup yeah true that can be, also when they are removing several modules from the core.

I don’t think that CLI will be difficult because a normal store owner cannot install Magento unless he/she already has some background IT knowledge. Now if a normal store owner is creating via some hosting such as cloudways, then this CLI installation will be and should be handled by such hosting companies, end-user just needs to fill the required fields on the GUI.