Question about ID attributes

Hi all.
Question about ID attributes. How do they assign non-default numbers? For example, brand1 = id1. Size 47 = id47

Converted Attribute Code

When creating an attribute, Magento usually just stripts spaces and special characters and converts to lowercase when generating an Attribute Code. For example:

I am an attribute becomes i_am_an_attribute

Assigned Attribute ID

When the Attribute ID is generated, it assigns the last unused ID (as controlled by the DB Table settings). So, if my last attribute have an ID of 45 then the next one would be 46. This is still the case even if you remove old attributes. The ID never “back-fills”.

You can verify this in phpMyAdmin under the Table eav_attribute under the Operations tab:

auto_increment

So my next Product Attribute will be assigned Attribute ID 166

Good. Where to change is understandable. The question is a little different. If I change the ID in the database - what is the danger? For example, a manufacturer with “manufacturer=5642” to “manufacturer=30” Or size from “size=5601” to “size=47”.

It’s hard to say. Making direct DB changes normally tends to break everything rather quickly. This post displays a Table Diagram (Magento 2 Database Diagram) that gives you a visual indication of how one table is linked to another. Breaking that chain may have a cascading effect. The only one to know for sure is testing it in your development environment.