Steps involved in updating Porto theme

Hi everyone

I started a Magento 2 project many moons ago but never finished it due to lack of time and multiple commitments. Now, like everyone under lockdown, with a bit more time on my hands I’m giving it another crack.

My Porto support expired ages ago and this should be a very simple question, so I hope someone here with Porto experience can help rather than unnecessarily having to fork out $99 for support.

What steps are actually involved in updating the theme? Is it simply a matter of unzipping the latest version, uploading the theme files and then the patch files, following by running setup:upgrade? That’s what the documentation seems to imply. Yet, when I do that (going from 3.1.7 to 3.2.3), my Magento installation doesn’t look much different from before. I’m in default mode (so no need to run setup:di:compile) and not employing a child theme. When I install 3.2.3 on a fresh instance of Magento (2.3.1), it does look different as expected.

By “different”, I mean the that theme formatting is different etc. My current version is pretty much vanilla install of Porto. I’ve not done any customisations.

Stumped.

Environment:
Magento 2.3.1
PHP 7.2
Porto 3.1.7 --> 3.2.3

In answer to my own question … I had an idea this morning and tried it. Posting my results here in case it helps others.

1. Uploaded Porto 3.2.3 theme
  2. Install all patches (see below*)
  3. Ran setup:upgrade
  4. Ran setup:static-content:deploy en_GB -f

I had previously omitted step 4.

The result is that the upgrade now looks like it does with a clean install of Magento and Porto.

The patches I uploaded for Magento 2.3.1 are

1. Patch for Magento 2.2.x and above
  2. Patch for Magento 2.2.4 and above
  3. Patch for Magento 2.3.x
  4. Patch for Magento 2.3.3 and above

Uploading patch 4 doesn’t seem to have affected anything, even though I’m on Magento 2.3.1. Upgrading to latest version of Porto was a precursor to upgrading to M 2.3.3 so I thought why not?

Thanks for the update and intel. With regards Step 4, I sometimes find that I have to manually nuke the pub/static/fronted folder before running static-content:deploy as it’s not always 100% effective:

rm -rf pub/static/frontend/*

Thank you so much for that tip. Must note it down. :smiley:

Hi,
When I initially uploaded via Filezilla Porto theme and patches all looked good except I couldn’t change any design (colours). There was an issue with permission.

I run two commands which fixed everything.
I can’t remember the commands now but Craig published a post on how to set and deal with user groups and permission issues.

You can ref to this more: Unable to match a Porto Demo with my setup 15th Feb. It might be helpful.

Hey Pawel

Thanks for the input. All is working fine for me now but what you said is definitely to keep in mind. During development, I’ve had things that used to work suddenly stop working. When requesting support from my magento host, they mention requiring file permission changes. So, indeed, something to keep in mind.

Thanks again