Unable to match a Porto Demo with my setup

Thanks so much for clarifying that Craig!

I will update everyone shortly when I’ve heard back from Support

I heard back from them and they’ve advised me 3 times it seems to be just a caching issue…

The first response was " Sorry for the late response.

I helped to import demo 19 to your site for you, please check your site after removing the browser cache. Thanks for your patience."

I continued to confirm what the fix was and they reiterated “As you saw in previous ticket, we imported demo 19 to your site again to fix the issue.”

Hi guys,

DigitalOcean, 4GB, 80GB, Ubuntu 16.04
I unsuccessfully tied to install Porto theme this weekend.
I have a few modules installed on my project but I’ll try to install it on my Magento vanilla install.

Guys, please let me know how did you install it, what problems you experienced and how you solved them.
Thank you.

Pawel

1 Like

So, yours is fixed? I checked your site from the link you provided in one of your previous messages, and I see this:

Whereas Demo 19 really looks like this:

I’m having this exact same problem…

Hey myrtlejeremy,

Yes it is fixed now, I disabled cache via browser and refreshed the page and it worked

I’ve made some adjustments, I’m not using the base of Demo 19 however when they installed it, it looked like the staging Demo 19

You said you installed the Quick Start Package right? How did you do this to make it show up as the staged demo? When I tried to do it and followed the documentation, my site wouldn’t load at all.

Hey myrtlejeremy, you’ll need to give me more information on the issue or error you’ve received

@massamedia When I tried it, I transferred the quick start package over to my server and unzipped it - overwriting the current files in place. Then the documentation said to “replace sql dump file.” I don’t know what that is, where that is or what it does. Nevertheless, I loaded phpmyadmin to see what would happen if I put the file inside the database. After that, I went to load the website and it refused to connect. I didn’t see any kind of error codes. It just refused to connect as if the server connection is timing out. I may be doing something wrong here as I’ve never done anything like this before.

Well done! Congrats :slight_smile:

I have just tried with my Magento vanilla installation. Unfortunately it doesn’t work for me.

My environment: DigitalOcen server 4GB RAM, 80GB sapce.
Ubuntu 16.04. Updated composer, as I mentioned it is a fresh vanilla installation without any additional modules or custom codes.

I tried to follow Porto’s Magento 2 installation Docs

• Cache disabled: bin/magento cache:disable
  • Magento 2 related files were unzipped and uploaded into magento root directory in the following order please ref the attached screenshot.
    porto%20theme
  • Next, I run bin/magento setup:upgrade command to activate SW extensions.
  • Login to my Magento admin panel and activate the theme.
  • Next, I select a demo version and import static blocs follow by CMS pages.
  • Next, I import my demo. 14 in my case but I don’t think it matters. All configuration have been saved as the docs instruct.
  • Finally, I navigate to Content > Design In the design configuration and I replace Magento Luma with Smartwave Porto theme and save the configuration.
  • Then I enable my cache with bin/magento cache:enable via console.
  • Clean the cache, flush the cache but my final results are:
1 exception(s):
Exception #0 (LogicException): Overriding view file '/var/www/html/app/design/frontend/Smartwave/porto/Magento_Checkout/layout/override/theme/Magento/blank/checkout_index_index.xml' does not match to any of the files.

Exception #0 (LogicException): Overriding view file '/var/www/html/app/design/frontend/Smartwave/porto/Magento_Checkout/layout/override/theme/Magento/blank/checkout_index_index.xml' does not match to any of the files.
<pre>#1 Magento\Framework\View\File\FileList->replace(array(&Magento\Framework\View\File#000000005d723b93000000005e6ddaad#)) called at [vendor/magento/framework/View/Layout/File/Collector/Aggregated.php:93]
#2 Magento\Framework\View\Layout\File\Collector\Aggregated->getFiles(&Magento\Theme\Model\Theme#000000005d723e22000000005e6ddaad#, '*.xml') called at [generated/code/Magento/Framework/View/Layout/File/Collector/Aggregated/Proxy.php:95]
#3 Magento\Framework\View\Layout\File\Collector\Aggregated\Proxy->getFiles(&Magento\Theme\Model\Theme#000000005d723e22000000005e6ddaad#, '*.xml') called at [vendor/magento/framework/View/Model/Layout/Merge.php:729]
#4 Magento\Framework\View\Model\Layout\Merge->_loadFileLayoutUpdatesXml() called at [vendor/magento/framework/View/Model/Layout/Merge.php:677]
#5 Magento\Framework\View\Model\Layout\Merge->getFileLayoutUpdatesXml() called at [generated/code/Magento/Framework/View/Model/Layout/Merge/Interceptor.php:245]
#6 Magento\Framework\View\Model\Layout\Merge\Interceptor->getFileLayoutUpdatesXml() called at [vendor/magento/framework/View/Model/Layout/Merge.php:550]
#7 Magento\Framework\View\Model\Layout\Merge->_fetchPackageLayoutUpdates('default') called at [vendor/magento/framework/View/Model/Layout/Merge.php:529]
#8 Magento\Framework\View\Model\Layout\Merge->_merge('default') called at [vendor/magento/framework/View/Model/Layout/Merge.php:453]
#9 Magento\Framework\View\Model\Layout\Merge->load(array()) called at [generated/code/Magento/Framework/View/Model/Layout/Merge/Interceptor.php:193]
#10 Magento\Framework\View\Model\Layout\Merge\Interceptor->load() called at [vendor/magento/framework/View/Layout/Builder.php:86]
#11 Magento\Framework\View\Layout\Builder->loadLayoutUpdates() called at [vendor/magento/framework/View/Layout/Builder.php:63]
#12 Magento\Framework\View\Layout\Builder->build() called at [vendor/magento/framework/View/Layout.php:253]
#13 Magento\Framework\View\Layout->build() called at [vendor/magento/framework/View/Layout.php:875]
#14 Magento\Framework\View\Layout->getBlock('page_content_hea...') called at [generated/code/Magento/Framework/View/Layout/Interceptor.php:414]
#15 Magento\Framework\View\Layout\Interceptor->getBlock('page_content_hea...') called at [vendor/magento/module-cms/Helper/Page.php:171]
#16 Magento\Cms\Helper\Page->prepareResultPage(&Magento\Cms\Controller\Index\Index\Interceptor#000000005d723ed0000000005e6ddaad#, 'porto_home_14') called at [vendor/magento/module-cms/Controller/Index/Index.php:74]
#17 Magento\Cms\Controller\Index\Index->execute(NULL) called at [generated/code/Magento/Cms/Controller/Index/Index/Interceptor.php:24]
#18 Magento\Cms\Controller\Index\Index\Interceptor->execute() called at [vendor/magento/framework/App/Action/Action.php:108]
#19 Magento\Framework\App\Action\Action->dispatch(&Magento\Framework\App\Request\Http#000000005d723d22000000005e6ddaad#) called at [vendor/magento/framework/Interception/Interceptor.php:58]
#20 Magento\Cms\Controller\Index\Index\Interceptor->___callParent('dispatch', array(&Magento\Framework\App\Request\Http#000000005d723d22000000005e6ddaad#)) called at [vendor/magento/framework/Interception/Interceptor.php:138]
#21 Magento\Cms\Controller\Index\Index\Interceptor->Magento\Framework\Interception\{closure}(&Magento\Framework\App\Request\Http#000000005d723d22000000005e6ddaad#) called at [vendor/magento/framework/Interception/Interceptor.php:153]
#22 Magento\Cms\Controller\Index\Index\Interceptor->___callPlugins('dispatch', array(&Magento\Framework\App\Request\Http#000000005d723d22000000005e6ddaad#), array(array('designLoader', 'customerNotifica...', 'catalog_app_acti...', 'tax-app-action-d...', 'weee-app-action-...', 'storeCheck', 'contextPlugin', 'customer-app-act...'))) called at [generated/code/Magento/Cms/Controller/Index/Index/Interceptor.php:39]
#23 Magento\Cms\Controller\Index\Index\Interceptor->dispatch(&Magento\Framework\App\Request\Http#000000005d723d22000000005e6ddaad#) called at [vendor/magento/framework/App/FrontController.php:159]
#24 Magento\Framework\App\FrontController->processRequest(&Magento\Framework\App\Request\Http#000000005d723d22000000005e6ddaad#, &Magento\Cms\Controller\Index\Index\Interceptor#000000005d723ed0000000005e6ddaad#) called at [vendor/magento/framework/App/FrontController.php:99]
#25 Magento\Framework\App\FrontController->dispatch(&Magento\Framework\App\Request\Http#000000005d723d22000000005e6ddaad#) called at [vendor/magento/framework/Interception/Interceptor.php:58]
#26 Magento\Framework\App\FrontController\Interceptor->___callParent('dispatch', array(&Magento\Framework\App\Request\Http#000000005d723d22000000005e6ddaad#)) called at [vendor/magento/framework/Interception/Interceptor.php:138]
#27 Magento\Framework\App\FrontController\Interceptor->Magento\Framework\Interception\{closure}(&Magento\Framework\App\Request\Http#000000005d723d22000000005e6ddaad#) called at [vendor/magento/module-store/App/FrontController/Plugin/RequestPreprocessor.php:94]
#28 Magento\Store\App\FrontController\Plugin\RequestPreprocessor->aroundDispatch(&Magento\Framework\App\FrontController\Interceptor#000000005d723f09000000005e6ddaad#, &Closure#000000005d723fd7000000005e6ddaad#, &Magento\Framework\App\Request\Http#000000005d723d22000000005e6ddaad#) called at [vendor/magento/framework/Interception/Interceptor.php:135]
#29 Magento\Framework\App\FrontController\Interceptor->Magento\Framework\Interception\{closure}(&Magento\Framework\App\Request\Http#000000005d723d22000000005e6ddaad#) called at [vendor/magento/module-page-cache/Model/App/FrontController/BuiltinPlugin.php:73]
#30 Magento\PageCache\Model\App\FrontController\BuiltinPlugin->aroundDispatch(&Magento\Framework\App\FrontController\Interceptor#000000005d723f09000000005e6ddaad#, &Closure#000000005d723fd7000000005e6ddaad#, &Magento\Framework\App\Request\Http#000000005d723d22000000005e6ddaad#) called at [vendor/magento/framework/Interception/Interceptor.php:135]
#31 Magento\Framework\App\FrontController\Interceptor->Magento\Framework\Interception\{closure}(&Magento\Framework\App\Request\Http#000000005d723d22000000005e6ddaad#) called at [vendor/magento/framework/Interception/Interceptor.php:153]
#32 Magento\Framework\App\FrontController\Interceptor->___callPlugins('dispatch', array(&Magento\Framework\App\Request\Http#000000005d723d22000000005e6ddaad#), NULL) called at [generated/code/Magento/Framework/App/FrontController/Interceptor.php:26]
#33 Magento\Framework\App\FrontController\Interceptor->dispatch(&Magento\Framework\App\Request\Http#000000005d723d22000000005e6ddaad#) called at [vendor/magento/framework/App/Http.php:136]
#34 Magento\Framework\App\Http->launch() called at [generated/code/Magento/Framework/App/Http/Interceptor.php:24]
#35 Magento\Framework\App\Http\Interceptor->launch() called at [vendor/magento/framework/App/Bootstrap.php:258]
#36 Magento\Framework\App\Bootstrap->run(&Magento\Framework\App\Http\Interceptor#000000005d723d48000000005e6ddaad#) called at [index.php:39]

Can you guys look at it in your spare time?
Thank you.

Regards,
Pawel

I’m not entirely sure about this as I’ve never really worked with Magento’s code, but I looked up the error online and I’ve read that it’s because there’s no checkout_index_index.xml file to override in the specified location. In other words, the file is missing. Maybe you forgot to add that file when you installed the theme?

Hi,
Thank you for looking at it. I looked for the error and found it.
I removed the layout/override/theme/Magento/blank/checkout_index_index.xml and cleared the cache. and it works :slight_smile:

Please update the post if you experience any issues. It could be a good place to share knowledge.

Craig, I hope you don’t mind it. I’m not working for Porto and I don’t want to promote them :slight_smile:

Regards,
Pawel

1 Like

@PawelP I’m having issues as well. I can’t install the theme correctly either. Every time I do so, the Porto demo I installed doesn’t match the actual demo site.

I’m hoping to spend some time tomorrow evening trying to install Porto on my Magento 2.3.1 sandbox. But be aware that I’m having some health issues right now that’s causing me a lot of pain, so this plan may change.

What I plan to get out of this test/experiment is to document the “correct” way of installing the theme. As I understand the language in the Documentation doesn’t make things very clear.

I also want to see if I can mimic some of these themes that you’re all trying to match up. So, please can you let me know below which Demo you are trying to replicate.

Your reply should denote whether it’s the Modern or Classic Demo and which number it is (you can find this here). For example:

• Modern: 10 or
  • Classic: 2

Thanks

On my website, I am trying to replicate Modern Demo 20. Here is the link to it.

I decided to go ahead and do it tonight, to get it out the way… Installing, Testing and Documenting this took 2 hours.

Porto Theme Installation Steps

1. Disabled All Cache Types (bin/magento cache:disable)
  2. Unzipped Porto File (themeforest-9725864-porto-ultimate-responsive-magento-theme.zip)
  3. Unzipped Porto Theme.zip and Uploaded
  4. Unzipped Patch for Magento 2.3.x.zip and Uploaded
  5. Installed the uploaded extensions/modules (bin/magento setup:upgrade)
  6. Enabled Porto in backend
  7. Saved Purchase code in backend
  8. Enabled All Cache Types (bin/magento cache:enable)

Setting a Demo

1. Went to System > Configuration > Porto - Settings Panel > Installation
  2. Clicked Import Static Blocks
  3. Clicked Import CMS Pages
  4. Clicked Demo 20
  5. Clicked Save Config
  6. Went to System > Configuration > Porto - Design Panel > Installation and Clicked Save Config
  7. Cleared All Cache Types

Notes

• Server already backed up
  • Server already in Developer Mode
  • Server already had Sample Data installed
  • Running Magento 2.3.1
  • I disabled the following cache types whilst I tweaked the theme settings (so I could see the changes):
    • Config
    • Layouts
    • Blocks HTML
    • Full Page

Observations

• Remember, that Magento will be painfully slow whilst All Cache Types are disabled.
  • The Documentation isn’t presented very well. Porto should hire me to rewrite it :slight_smile:
  • When uploading files via FTP, make sure that you don’t have any Failed Transfers.
  • If you already have a Mageplaza module installed via Composer, you will get a conflict. This is because Porto attempts to duplicate the Mageplaza_Core module in a second location. Easy fix is to delete app/code/Mageplaza/Core.

Why doesn’t my Porto installation look like the Demo?

So, this is where is gets a bit messy. The Porto theme is essentially made up of 4 parts:

1. The Blocks that contain some of the Demo content
  2. The CMS Pages that contain some of the Demo content
  3. The base CSS Styles
  4. The Theme Settings (which tweak CSS and layout)

However, when going through the steps to install the Demo they only setup Steps 1-3. The fourth step is not automated it seems. Therefore, you have to fine-tune the Theme Settings to complete the final touches.

Take for example Modern Demo 20. I selected and installed Demo 20 to match the bulk of the Demo. But my store and the Porto Demo did not quite match. So, then I started to tweak some of the Theme Settings. For example, I changed these three options which made a big difference:

• Maximum Page Width = Full Width
  • Header Type = Type 13
  • New Skin = Yes

So, nothing is in fact broken here. It’s just that you need to fine-tune the settings after the installation.

What is the Quick Start Package for?

The Quick Start Package is their full demo store. To use it you would literally have to replace your current website (which isn’t really a problem if you haven’t started doing anything with your store yet). It’s like a complete backup of their Demo site. I guess that’s ok if you want to build a server for it to go on so that you can reverse engineer the settings. But not practical otherwise - In my opinion.

In Conclusion

I feel that Porto should add the ability to automate the fourth step. Thus cutting out the need to use the Quick Start Package - Which in my opinion is not a plausible solution because you essentially have to replace your entire website just to copy a few settings. This was never an issue for me, because I purchased Porto for the “ToolBox” as opposed to be sold on the idea that I wanted to directly imitate something.

Hopefully, this adds some insight into what’s going on here.

Hi Craig,

I’m sorry to hear that you’re not well. Don’t worry if you can’t install it today. Take your time.

I’m trying to install Demo Modern 14 .

Regards,
Pawel

Wow, You’ve done it already.

I need to look at it later on.

Thank you for doing this.

Pawel

Hi Craig,

So did you ignore installing a patch Magento 2.3.1. You installed only 2.3.x?

Pawel

Correct. The documentation says only install those patches if you’re running those versions. It doesn’t say anything about installing them one-by-one. Therefore, I only uploaded the 2 files I mentioned.