Configurable Product and images

Hi

I’m just in the process of setting up a Magento 2 store and I was wondering if the following is possible.

I sell t-shirts with my designs on and I print the t-shirts as I need them. So I hold stock of plain t-shirts and then when somebody orders a t-shirt I print the design onto the plain t-shirt.

What I would like to do is create a configurable product that uses the plain t-shirts as it’s stock
Black t-shirt in Small, Medium, Large, X-Large
Blue t-shirt in Small, Medium, Large, X-Large
Red t-shirt in Small, Medium, Large, X-Large
Orange t-shirt in Small, Medium, Large, X-Large

So I create attributes for colour and size and use these to create the configurable product (T-shirt with design 1) and then repeat the process for all the other t-shirt designs using the same child products, so when a large black t-shirt is sold for design 1 it will update the quantity of the large black t-shirts on all the other designs.

Is it possible on the product pages to have the main image update when a colour swatch is selected, so it shows the relevant coloured t-shirt with the design on?

Hope that all makes sense, let me know if you need any more information.

I’ve got a test site I’m using to try things out. So I’ve got 2 examples which show the issues I’m having

Design 2 https://squashdoctor.co.uk/t-shirt-design-2.html I’ve added the 4 images to the configurable product but when the swatch is selected the relevant coloured t-shirt isn’t displayed.

Design 1 https://squashdoctor.co.uk/t-shirt-design-1.html I’ve only added 1 image to the configurable product and when the swatch is selected it shows the image from the child product, but that doesn’t have the t-shirt design on because that child product will be used for many configurable products.

I’ve had to use different set of child products for the 2 examples. Design 1 has images added for all the child products and Design 2 doesn’t have any images added for the child products.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks Paul

Yes, I think @PawelP has been working on Configurable products and might be able to chime in here quicker than I can look into it. Off the top of my head, there are 2 requirements:

1. Make sure the Child Product (colour variable) has an image assigned to it with the labels Base, Small, Thumbnail and Swatch
  2. Enable a setting that turns this feature on (I may have made this one up. I’ll amend answer if I’m wrong)

It looks like you’ve already achieved this in Design 1… Having re-read your requirements, I suspect you’ll need to create a different design for each colour rather than recycle the same sku over and over. This is of course if I’m interpreting your post correctly.

Hi Craig

Thank you for the reply.

The issue with design 1 is that it doesn’t show the t-shirt with the design/print on when you click on the colour swatch, it shows the image of the plain t-shirt with no design/print in that colour (so the image is taken from the child sku). I need to use the same child sku for all the different designs to control my stock levels. So if I sell one large black t-shirt with design/print 1 on, Magento will update the stock on all the other designs/prints for the large black t-shirt.

Hope that makes sense.

Thanks Paul

It’s been awhile since I setup Configurable products. Hopefully, I can poke @PawelP to add his recent experience.