Configurable products, a lot of options

Hi, I’ve got few questions regarding confiugrable products. I have followed your tutorials on importing products/setting attributes and so on and they didn’t fully answer my questions. So in my case I will have heavily configurable products, like 4-5 options and some of them being always possible and some only when other are chosen (if that makes sense). And the question is how should make those only accessible in some scenarions. Like for example I have shape category working just fine (but this one is based on simple products while the rest is only costumizable option) and the diemension which I would like to be dependent on the shape (some shapes got some sizes and so on). Is it possible to make it by using costumizable option or should i make simple products for each possible scenario?

Hey @michal. Great question. I hope to cover more videos on this topic when I’ve finished doing these last few Installation videos.

Just to see if we’re on the same page, would this example below represent something similar to what you’re after?

Thanks for the answer. That’s pretty much it. I tried to do it using attributes but after watching your videos I realized that attributes are not really meant to customize the product but rather to help me (as admin) describe them more easily (still not sure wheter I understand it, perhaps attributes can be used for both).

So should I make simple products for every single scenario? Like:

Shirt> Long Sleeve>Green>Pattern
Shirt> Long Sleeve>Blue>Pattern
Shirt> Long Sleeve>Blue>Plain
and so on? Or is there another way?

Cool. I’m glad we’re on the same page. It’s been a while since I created any Configurable Products. If you’re not in a rush, let me try and get back to you in the next 24 hours. So, I can experiment and refresh my memory.

Sure, take your time :slight_smile: I think I can make it the way I want but I’m trying to find an easier and faster solution :wink:

EDIT:
Just a quick update, I’ve managed to achieve the customization I wanted by creating individual simple products for each possible scenario (for just one product for know). However it is very time consuming but if it is the only way to do then I guess I’ll do it this way. I’d be very happy to hear it is possible to make it faster :slight_smile:

1 Like

Hi there again, sorry for double posting but I wanted to ask wheter maybe you found some solution? I hate to bother you that much but that’s pretty much what I got left if I don’t want to spend ages adding products.

Sorry, I didn’t get round to it on Friday and I’m trying not to work over the weekend. I’ll have a look tonight after work and let you know how I get on.

Hopefully this answers your question? It seems like a quick way of auto-generating a bunch of products and then cherry-picking the ones you don’t want…

That’s awesome, that’s what I’m going to do then. Thanks a lot :slight_smile:

1 Like