Error 500 after changing directory permissions

Hi Craig,

I’ve had a problem transfering files in filezilla. When i first connected as the Ubuntu (root) user i was unable to write files to the server to install a theme.

I have an Amazon AWS Ubuntu server. So the user name is Ubuntu.

After looking on the web i found that i could enter the following via putty to have access :

sudo chown -R ubuntu:ubuntu /var/www/html
sudo chmod -R 755 /var/www/html

This did work and i can now transfer the files with Filezilla.

However as soon as i entered the line : sudo chown -R ubuntu:ubuntu /var/www/html i can no longer connect to the magento front or back office.

When i put the ip address in google chrome it displays an error 500 page and i can’t understand why? Can you please help?
I can still connect to PphMyAdmin (with the ip address) and Putty fine.

I followed your excellent video to install the webserver and magento. So the other question i have is that if i had connected to filezilla as the magento user
that you made in your video. Would this this have allowed me to transfer the files? (I didn’t connect as the magento user as i haven’t figured it out yet :slight_smile:)

Thanks for your help,
Andy.

It seems that by entering the following command :

sudo chmod -R 777 /var/www/html

It has set the permissions that any one can write to.

So i can now see the front and back which is excellent :slightly_smiling_face:

However i still can’t figure out how to set the file permissions back to how they were before after following your How to install Magento 2.3 and build a web server

Just came across your video :

How to diagnose and fix Ownerships and Permission issues

Excellent. All sorted now!

Ah, you beat me to it. I was going to mention that after seeing you’d try to implement 777 :slight_smile: