Error: Something went wrong with processing the default view and we have restored the filter to its original state

This morning I received a Debug email from Apache alerting me to an issue. These types of alerts are useful as they can flag potential issues. Sometimes they’re critical and sometimes they’re not.

Store Debug Information (Email Alert)

SQLSTATE[42S22]: Column not found: 1054 Unknown column 'amasty_ogrid_weight' in 'order clause', query was: SELECT `main_table`.*, `amasty_ogrid_sales_order`.`base_subtotal` AS `amasty_ogrid_base_subtotal`, `amasty_ogrid_sales_order`.`total_due` AS `amasty_ogrid_total_due`, `amasty_ogrid_sales_order`.`total_paid` AS `amasty_ogrid_total_paid`, `amasty_ogrid_sales_order`.`subtotal` AS `amasty_ogrid_subtotal` FROM `sales_order_grid` AS `main_table`
 LEFT JOIN `sales_order` AS `amasty_ogrid_sales_order` ON main_table.entity_id = amasty_ogrid_sales_order.entity_id ORDER BY amasty_ogrid_weight DESC
 LIMIT 200

The phone call…

Moments later, I received an email from an Administrator explaining that he was trying to customise the columns on their Sales Order Grid page - When all of a sudden they received an error and could no longer load the Orders Grid on the backend.

Symptoms included:

  • Something went wrong with processing the default view and we have restored the filter to its original state” message appeared at the top of the page
  • Attention: Something went wrong” popup displayed
  • Then the spinning loading icon kept animating on the center of the screen
  • The main menu still worked fine
  • All other pages worked fine
  • Create New Order button above the Order Grid still worked fine
  • No other users were effected

Unfortunately, I didn’t think to take a screenshot at the time.


I’ve no idea what exactly caused the issue and I was unable to recreate in a Development Environment. Based on the Store Debug Email I suspect it may have been related to an Amasty Grid module that is currently installed. However, I can’t back that theory up due to not being able to reproduce it.

In the following post, I’ll explain the process I went through to resolve the error…

Based on the points below, this lead me to my first lead (the ui_bookmark table):

  • This was the only Admin affected
  • Only the Order Grid Page was affected for the user
  • The issue was related to Column setup

1. ui_bookmark table

Based on those points, I loaded up the Database and accessed the ui_bookmark table. This table is responsible for saving individual preferences for users Column settings.

Tweaking the table isn’t something I’d done before but a quick study of the table highlighted some useful information:

  • user_id seemed to indicate which user the configuration related to
  • namespace seemed to indicate which table the configuration related to
  • config seemed to indicate the configuration for that entry

In the past, I needed to Truncate the table whilst working on something else. So, I already knew that it was ok to delete entries from the ui_bookmark table because they auto-generate if an entry doesn’t already exist - when a user loads a page.

2. Finding the user_id entries to delete

Now, I could have simply Truncated the table but this would have wiped all of the settings for all of the users. And I’m not really one for “nuking” data. So, to narrow down my options I first had to find out which user_id related to the Admin that was affected.

Simply opening the admin_user table will display the user_id of an Admin along with their other details such as firstname, email and username. For the purpose of this example, I’ll call the user_id “2”.

So, I went back into the ui_bookmark table and Searched for records where user_id = 2. This helped narrow down the huge list of entries quite significantly. Therefore, eliminating a lot of the “noise” so I could concentrate better.

3. Finding the namespace entries to delete

To tidy this data up a bit more, I sorted the results by namespace. I then proceeded to look through the namespace entries to see if anything stood out that was related to the Order Grid.

2 entries stood out to me called sales_order_grid; one for default and the other for current. This seemed like the most obvious choice, so I proceeded to Delete these 2 entries from the table.

When the Admin attempted to reload the page, everything loaded correctly and the 2 entries that I Deleted were regenerated.

Final words

I appreciate this only fixed the “symptom” and not the “cause” but unless I’m able to reproduce the issue then I’m none-the-wiser.

Hopefully, this information will prove useful to someone in the future - Even if it’s future-me that needs to refer to this at some point a year or two from now.

Hi Craig,
I have the same issue. I see this error only in product filtering.

I login phpmyadin, and I TRUNCATE to the ui_bookmark table.
But still the same. Have any idea?

Thank you so much.

I’m not entirely sure. My issue sounds different as it affected the Columns and not the Filter. Logically, mine made sense to look in ui_bookmark because I had determined that the issue was “per user” and not “globally”.

If your issue is “per user” then I’m not sure what avenues are left to investigate. However, if your issue is “global” then it might be worth sniffing around any 3rd party modules that might be interfering with your setup.

EDIT: Another thought I just had… If it is a “per user” issue and you’ve already looked in ui_bookmark (assuming this is also responsible for Filters) then it might be worth clearing your Session Data. It’s a long shot but worth trying. If your Sessions Data is stored:

  • in Redis then run redis-cli FLUSHALL
  • on the Disk, then clear the contents of the <magento_root>/var/session/ folder.
  • in the Database then Truncate the session table (I think. Double-check this before doing it. Make backups etc etc…)