Magento 2 Shell Script Tools

Magento 2 Scripts

So, I made a GitHub Repo that contains scripts that can be downloaded and customised for your own use. I’ve kept them quite generic so that it’s more applicable to a wider group of people.

The problem

Entering a bunch of commands after you make a change is a boring task. It’s the same old thing after makind a Code/Styling change to Magento 2. In the past, I’ve circumvented this by stringing commands together onto a single line (using the “&&”). For example:

bin/magento setup:upgrade && bin/magento:di:compile

or

bin/magento cache:clean && bin/magento cache:flush

This is much more convenient than executing one line at a time. However, I still need to dig out my notes so I can copy and paste these commands whenever I need them.

The Solution

So, to optimise my workflow, I’ve created some scripts. That way, I only need to know the name of the script I wish to execute rather than dig out the whole string.

The Scripts

up_basic.sh

Very Basic. Typically ran after installing a light module or patch.

bin/magento setup:upgrade
bin/magento setup:di:compile

up_advanced.sh

Same as above, but includes clearing a bunch of caching. I’d run this after bigger code changes or upgrades.

rm -rf var/cache/* var/page_cache/* generated/code/* var/view_preprocessed pub/static/frontend/*
redis-cli flushall
bin/magento setup:upgrade
bin/magento setup:di:compile
bin/magento setup:static-content:deploy -f
bin/magento indexer:reindex
bin/magento cache:clean
bin/magento cache:flush
redis-cli flushall

up_frontend.sh

This one clears a bunch of caches if you’re only making frontend changes.

rm -rf var/view_preprocessed pub/static/frontend/*
bin/magento setup:static-content:deploy --area frontend -f

up_adminhtml.sh

This one clears a bunch of caches if you’re only making frontend changes.

rm -rf var/view_preprocessed pub/static/adminhtml/*
bin/magento setup:static-content:deploy --area adminhtml -f

The scripts are designed to stop instantly as a query exits while having a non-zero status (hence the set -e). I’ve also added some Verbose feedback for the user (echo). Oh and a “Are you sure” prompt.

Installation

1. Upload to <magento root>/bin/ (e.g. <magento root>/bin/up_basic.sh)
  2. Ensure that the scripts are owner by the magento user (e.g. magento www-data)
  3. Set the appropriate permissions so only magento user can run the scripts (e.g. chmod 744 bin/up_basic.sh)
  4. Run the script at any time from the Magento Root Directory (e.g. bin/up_basic.sh)

Disclaimer

It’s my belief that these scripts are secure with the appropriate ownership and permissions. And I’m pretty sure it’s ok to store them in the bin/ folder. However, do so at your own risk as there’s every chance I might be wrong.

Useful Resources

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.