Mega Menu Recommendations?

As I’ve gone down this long windy path for designing/configuring magento, I now have a need for a “Mega Menu”.

There are quite a few of them out there, but I’m at my wits end “trying” different companies and their extensions just to find they are written poorly and not well worked into the magento infrastructure. I have found this here that has quite a few options. https://www.mageplaza.com/magento-2-mega-menu-extension/

Any recommendations, input, etc…? This is now the last thing I have to do before I can do some final speed testing and then go live. Easier said than done, but it is getting there.

I guess the answer depends on your requirements. You probably know my stand-point when it comes to picking modules:

• Is it possible to stick with the same brand as others that I already have installed
  • Is the module actively developed

I might have a look at a couple of reputable options during one of the livestreams.

Yeah. I appreciate it. I wasn’t sure if there was a standout/obvious option. Here are some notes I’ve taken. Maybe they will help.

Prior to all of this I had a good impression and experience with Amasty. That’s just not the case anymore. I’ve had problems on top of problems and the ticketing/customer service is awful.

Ubertheme charges continually to get updates. While I can understand this model, it doesn’t really work for me. I did like their approach as they have the menu built out to be able to work with Venia. That was great because I’m sure PWA will end up becoming more and more popular.

CSmart hasn’t updated since 2018

I haven’t heard of IBnab, but it doesn’t look like they update too often and I couldn’t find it on Magento Marketplace either.

Land of Coder seemed like a decent option, but I have never used them and can’t find any additional information on the module itself or others’ experiences.

MageDelight seems to have frequent enough updates, but I’ve never dealt with them before.

Magenest hasn’t updated in over a year and doesn’t reflect 2.4.x compatibility. Never used or heard of this company either

MageSolution. Same thing as magenest and couldn’t find a changelog

Magezon - This seems like a decent option as well. I have not used them before but there are a few reviews and they updated the extension a fair amount of times since release and it is compatible with 2.4.x.

Rootways - Never used them, but it is updated and the have updated a bit over the last couple years. Compatibility with 2.4.x

Woah, I haven’t even heard of some of those. I appreciate you sharing the research that you’ve put in so far though.

• I’m a bit disappointed by your Amasty experience. I don’t recall having such an experience. Albeit, I agree that the ticketing system is a little laggy.
  • I found Ubertheme to be really price, so I’ve never used any of their products apart from the Migration tool back in 2017.
  • I’ve tried a couple of LoC products over the years but never needed to contact them for anything.

I’m willing to try all 3 though - Assuming they all offer a money back guarantee :rofl: Is there anything you want to know in particular?

HAHA. With the experience I’ve had with some of the extensions, I look for the money back guarantee as well.

My biggest thing is how well the extension is written. Is it adding a lot of resources that need to be loaded on the front end etc… It seems that most all of them have a decent amount of flexibility in arranging the menus and I don’t really have any specific needs there. I just have a LOT of categories due to the nature of the type of products I offer.

• Being able to add custom menus (for information) was really nice and it seemed most all of them did that as well.

• Custom CSS is a nice touch on some of them for a little bit of flexibility in design.

• Ultimately, for me, I don’t want it to be a “heavy” extension, which is something you can’t tell really until after you buy and try. I suppose one can look at the demo and compare against a stock M2 Luma. That is if that’s really all they have in the demo.

• Do they offer “free updates” and do they keep it updated are both things that I think are important.

Generally, I think these are all things that would be important to anyone looking for a “Mega Menu”. Of course, if you have a specific use or feature then you pretty much have to go with the options that include that ability.

I’ve started digging more into the sites and magezon menu is looking like it may be a GREAT option. Land of Coder is a free option, however just signing up I found a few buggy things in the site and their contact email is a gmail address. That just doesn’t sit well with me professionally.

To make things a little easier for anyone following/reading the below seem like the first glance viable options.

Amasty: Prior to all of this I had a good impression and experience with Amasty. That’s just not the case anymore. I’ve had problems on top of problems and the ticketing/customer service is awful. - Being they do usually make good extensions this is still in consideration - Not a big fan of how they are creating menus. You have to build out each individual menu and aside from the basic menu you are left completely designing the rest without any GUI assistance.

Land of Coder: (free option) seemed like a decent option, but I have never used them and can’t find any additional information on the module itself or others’ experiences. Their site seems a little buggy and contact email is a gmail address. Not too professional and I would think this attention to detail could be indicative of extension quality. - No composer install as of 2020-10-16

MageDelight: seems to have frequent enough updates, but I’ve never dealt with them before. - Doesn’t seem to utilize current menu structure, instead you have to recreate it using blocks and manually selecting/creating menus.

Magezon: This seems like a decent option as well. I have not used them before but there are a few reviews and they updated the extension a fair amount of times since release and it is compatible with 2.4.x. They seem to include other company’s menus (Ultimo, Porto, etc…) - Seems very heavy on frontend rss loaded

Rootways: Never used them, but it is updated and the have updated a bit over the last couple years. Compatibility with 2.4.x

2 Likes

Right now, for me, it is down to Amasty and Magezon. I may try Amasty because I already have an amasty extension.

Another important aspect to consider is if the “Desktop Menu” Items (images, css, etc…) are loaded on a mobile device or not. They should not be and could potentially waste a lot of rss if you really build out your menu. Mine will be pretty simple, but I’d still not like to be wasteful.

Oddly enough, Magezon contact me over the weekend about offering discount codes… If this happens, I’ll let you know.

Interesting… I think they have a decent product however I was able to find a site with their menu installed and it added a TON of rss that needed to be loaded on the frontend. To me that doesn’t make it worth it.

LOC Extension seems somewhat lightweight. It does not have composer installation. That’s definitely a negative in my books.

I have added some notes above. Currently rootways may be the winner. I’m digging into it more now though.

Rootways customer service was extremely helpful and responsive. They are very receptive to feature requests etc… I think I will be installing this one over the weekend. I honestly liked the porto mega menu, however I think it may be too much work to get that to work the way I want without the rest of porto and supporting CSS baked into their theme files for it.

I’ve definitely not seen the name “Rootways” before. But I’m open to check them out in the future if your experience was that positive.

I purchased and installed the extension last night. I haven’t had time to fully configure it yet. I did run A/B tests on the typical speed testing sites: gtmetrix, webpage speed test, lighthouse, etc… There are only 1-2 additional requests and the extra rss on the frontend is negligible. I do have a “speed optimizer” that combines js, css, etc… above and beyond what stock magento does so that is with that enabled. Still though, if there was a large amount of resources loaded on the frontend then it would show in the page size.

I will provide another update as I get some time to work more with the extension. I was only able to get the very basics configured.

1 Like

Alrighty. I’ve had some time to play around with the extension. Overall, I really like it. Is it perfect, nope. Does it work well for what it is, yes. It’s simple, lightweight, and effective. I had to work through a few issues and hopefully they make the necessary changes in their future release. They have been fairly responsive and helpful. The menu is quick to deploy as well. I have a very large menu system compared to most store due to the nature of the store/products. This was what caused some of the problems, but overall it is a tough task to make things responsive and know that they will work for everyone.

I am still doing some final tweaking and waiting on a couple responses. Once I fully finish it, I will provide my last opinion on the rootways menu. So far, it’s the best megamenu unless you have a specific feature required that is in one of the other menus. I just couldn’t imagine having to make every single menu individually, which is a common thing among many “mega menus”.

2 Likes

At this point, it is working perfectly. I honestly couldn’t be happier with this extension. The new version with the fixes and suggestion I provided is already available on marketplace. That’s hard to beat. Great support and awesome extension. I’m glad I went with these guys.

Thanks for the update. I’ll check those guys out.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.