So I was trying to remove a couple modules today, which is the first time I have done so. I used the following command:
bin/magento module:uninstall <module_name>
This removed db entries and the code from your system. At least it is suppose to if the module is created properly and has the uninstall file.
This hangs on removing code aspect.
If you create a new screen and run composer update in that screen it will finish out the operation. From my understanding it has something to do requesting credentials and hanging at that point. Regardless, once I did this is was successfully removed. An annoying workaround, but it worked nonetheless.