PHP and MariaDB Version

I’m thinking of upgrading from PHP 7.1 to 7.3 and mariadb from 10.1 to 10.3.

Any known issues with this? Magento lists these as acceptable and so does wordpress as I run fishpig wordpress with magento. I know I can downgrade php, however the mariadb upgrade is a permanent upgrade that I will not be able to undo at cloudways.

• PHP 7.3 [Recommended]
  • Maria 10.3 [Only supported up to 10.2]

Ref: Official Magento Documentation

Ideally, you should have left PHP 7.1 by January of 2020 as that was its end of life (i.e. no more security and compatibility updates). Depending on your method of installation, don’t forget to install the PHP 7.3 modules too. This can easily be overlooked because people forget they installed a bunch of PHP 7.1 modules way back when too.

The only issues that you’ll find (and this catches out loads of people) are old/unsupported 3rd party modules that hold you back. Here comes the rant…

I see so many people installing free modules from websites that don’t keep their products updated. And that’s probably great in the moment, but then they run into road blocks where they can’t upgrade anything because it would result in that module breaking something. I saw this a lot when we went from Magento 2.1 to 2.2 and then 2.2 to 2.3 because so much had changed between the 2 versions - Which meant people could upgrade Magento without uninstalling their old “abandoned” modules. I’ll see a lot of the same old stories when we go from Magento 2.3 to 2.4, just you wait. Rant over :smiley:

Thanks! I read that document yesterday, so I’m not sure why in the heck I was thinking 10.3. Thank you for pointing that out. You likely just saved me a MAJOR headache.

1 Like

Well… here goes nothin on the mariadb update. lol.

the update went without issues. wordpress and magento seem to be happy, so that makes me happy today.

1 Like