Recommended upgrade path for new releases

So with M2s latest release, would you recommend doing the security patch immediately and then waiting a 2-3 weeks prior to updating to the actual latest release (2.4.2) from 2.4.1?

From what I recall, if you have the security patch then when you update to 2.4.2 it simply overwrites anything from the patch. My point being that the patch doesn’t have to be removed first (unless M2 does that already during the upgrade).

This is a nice topic. I would suggest editing title to something like, upgrade 2.4.1 to 2.4.2.
Personally I followed instructions from dev.magento but I couldn’t login to admin with site running though so i would wait for plugin dev and theme to release some updates

I did install the security patch successfully using this commands.
composer require magento/product-community-edition=2.4.1-p1 --no-update
composer update
bin/magento setup:upgrade
bin/magento setup:di:compile
bin/magento setup:static-content:deploy (-f)

Now at the bottom of the screen it shows Magento ver. 2.4.1-p1

Thanks!

I suppose my question at this point would be when you do update to 2.4.2 from 2.4.1 (really any update to a major/minor release) and you have ALREADY applied the security patch then do you have to remove the patch first and then upgrade or can you just upgrade right over it?

I don’t know if this helps you.
Since I had my backups ready and had already install security patch, I run the upgrade of magento to 2.4.2 via composer and it went through without any errors.
I wasn’t able again to login to admin like before to check version

In case you were unable to log in due to 2FA, you can disable that with
bin/magento module:disable Magento_TwoFactorAuth

What was the result when you tried to login? Did the login page not load, was there an error/exception produced?

It was an exception error, missing “title” field and another one from Yotpo

I didn’t try to solve any of those two, cause I want to wait for theme developers to launch an update

It wasn’t an FA authenticator issue.

I think that many forum members would appreciate a new video from Craig to demonstrate an upgrade to 2.4.2, including composer and folder privileges.