Speeding up Magento 2.3 with 30K sku

Hi Craig,

I am almost ready to test my Magento 2.3 site and have some questions about performance.

My dedicated server specs:

• HPE ProLiant DL 120 Gen9
  • Intel® Xeon® E5-2620v3, 6coreIntel® Xeon® E5-2620v4, 8core
  • 32 GB DDR4-RAM ECC
  • 2x 256 GB SSD
  • Software-RAID 1
  • 1 Gbit/s port
  • HPE iLO Advanced

The site will have about 30,000 sku

1. Is 30K sku something that Magento 2.3 can handle running on the server above or do I need to upgrade?
  2. Do you have a list of does and don’ts with regard to performance?
  3. Can you point out some tips that could help with increasing the speed?

Thank You

Hey @Jonathan_Gillmor ,

Running an 8 core on 32GB should be more than suitable. Obviously, the spec requirements also depend on the amount of traffic you’re getting too.

I should note, that performance isn’t all about specs either. You’ll have the joy of tweaking an optimising your settings to get things just right.

Whilst in Developer Mode, which is what you should switch to when building your site, you’ll want to ensure you start with all Caching Enabled (as having them all off can properly eat a lot of your resources). Then just turn the ones off that you require during testing.

Eventually, you’ll want to consider running Redis on your server to handle your sessions and then optimise your database. I can drop you hints about that at a later date. But you’ll definitely want to approach those topics just before you launch.

Anyway, to answer your questions:

1. Most definitely. Even 50k plus. Remember to optimise your Product Attributes and utilise the Flat Catalog in order to cache as much product data as possible. Each individual attribute call to the database is just another reason to slow things down.
  2. Not written down, no. The only thing I have is this, but it’s very general. I’ll have to give this some thought and publish something when I have time.
  3. As above.

I’ll try and come back to you with more answers next week. As you have a large database of products, we should probably tackle database optimisation first. Because even in Developer Mode, Magento 2 software runs quite quick anyway.

Any further questions, let me know…

Thanks so much Craig,

Awesome as always,