Login to Server as root/ superUser

Was following along with the SSL tutorial using CertBot, but cannot access the server in root mode.

I’m guessing this is simple enough but cannot figure it out…

Thanks

Hi,
If you installed you M following Craig’s turotial you probably disabled your root.

Hi @Mycall and welcome

As @PawelP mentions, if you’ve been following along with my tutorials then you can simply run a root command by switching over to your “superuser” account and prefix your commands with su. You don’t actually login as “root”. In fact, if you’ve been following along with the videos then this tutorial will tell you exactly what to do: How to setup Let’s Encrypt Free SSL Certificate with Magento 2

However, if you’ve not been following along and have a different setup then there’s a chance that this information will not help. For example, if you’re signed up to a Shared Web Host Service then you simply won’t be allowed to do any of this.

Hi Craig,

Thanks for the detailed reply. And a big thank you for all your videos. Very helpful and easy to watch!
I have a shared hosting account with nexus. And, secondly i am trying to following along with the ‘Ultimo Theme’ Installation but getting stuck when running the command:

bin/magento module:enable Infortis_Base Infortis_Brands Infortis_Cgen Infortis_Dataporter Infortis_Infortis Infortis_Ultimo Infortis_UltraMegamenu Infortis_UltraSlideshow

It is giving me a permissions denied. Any idea as to why? is this because i am on a shared hosting account? I have emailed nexus but not got anything back as of yet.

Is there a work around.

Thanks again.

Mycall

Additionally, i have appended the command with php and then it returns an errro:

Unknown module(s): ‘Infortis_Base’, ‘Infortis_Brands’, ‘Infortis_Cgen’, ‘Infortis_Dataporter’, ‘Infortis_Infortis’, ‘Infortis_Ultimo’, ‘Infortis_UltraMegamenu’, ‘Infortis_UltraSlideshow’

any ideas as to whats going on? Thanks again!

Hi Craig,

Please ignore the above to replies. I have fixed the issue.
I initially transferred the ‘app’ and pub’ folders to a directory that was 2 folders above the root. And therefore when running the command it could not locate the Bin/magento modules.

regards, Mycall

Hi Craig, i do have one question though if you can help.

on the following websites:

www.onlinecarpets.co.uk

They have an extension (I believe) that they are using for the product order calculation before adding to basket. Do you know what extension this could be as i am building a flooring and carpet website?

regards,

Mycall

I believe this type of solution is bespoke (purpose built for them). You might be able to simulate something similar by using Configuration Products and having the Width and Length as Dropdown Attributes - Much like how Clothes are listed.

Hey Craig,

Thanks for the reply. Yeah i might take a look at setting the Width & Length as attributes. This, i believe, is what www.flooringsuperstore.com have opted for!

Although, i prefer the bespoke option.

I am now stuck on the importing of the CSV with the error:

Imported resource (image) could not be downloaded from external resource due to timeout or access permissions in row(s): 1, 2, 3, 4

I have read your post and advice on this: CSV Import Error: Imported resource (image) could not be downloaded

and also read through Stack overflow and a few other sites to debug this issue.

I am using a shared hosting through nexus and so i don’t think i can set the ownership and permissions as you detail in the above link. My images are in var/import/images directory and i specify this directory in the Magento2 BE ‘Images File Directory’.

Just wondering if you have any more knowledge on this topic since you last discussed in the post.

Finally, how can i donate some cash to you for all your help and the advice with the videos. I don’t have much but would like to show my appreciation and help you keep the videos going.

regards, myCall

Yes, you’re right. Shared Hosting won’t let you place with Ownership/Groups but should allow you to play with Permissions if need be. If it’s a Permissions issue only, then you can try running the below - Which shouldn’t require a superuser as they’re technically your files:

find var generated vendor pub/static pub/media app/etc -type f -exec chmod g+w {} + && find var generated vendor pub/static pub/media app/etc -type d -exec chmod g+ws {} + 

You’ll know for sure if it’s a Permissions issue as you should be able to access those images from the web browser by visiting example.com/var/import/images/filename.jpg

Also, just to clarify (as I think this changed from 2.3.2):

• Your image files need to go in var/import/images/
  • Your csv should only mention the filename
  • The Magento Import page should remain blank

I have a PayPal (Donate) button near the top of the page. Don’t feel like you have to, but every little helps with equipment and service costs. Thank you.