I recently encountered an issue with one of my modules and contacted the developer to raise it as a ticket. The developer came back to say that the latest version addressed the issue and gave me a link to download. The README file included an “installation” section which was very straightforward. However, before I install the latest version, I wanted to check what the best practice is for upgrading a module?
- I originally installed the module from the Magento Marketplace using the Web Setup Wizard.
- The new version came zipped with instructions to copy to the app/code folder then;
– Run bin/magento setup:upgrade to install the module
– Run bin/magento setup:di:compile to generate dependency code
– Run bin/magento cache:clean to clear the cache
- No specific “upgrade” instructions were included (I’ve also checked the developer support site).
Would you uninstall the old module and then install the latest version, or will Magento detect that this is an upgrade and handle it accordingly? Does the fact that I installed one version via the Web Setup Wizard and this one via the CLI affect the upgrade process?