Magento 2.3.0 Now Available

You’re welcome :+1:

Well, hopefully everything is now fixed in that article now. Sorry for the run-around.

I appreciate the donation. It all goes towards running costs :slightly_smiling_face: And new Subscribers all go towards building this community. If it wasn’t the community then I probably wouldn’t do this.

Awesome, thanks for sharing this. I’ve had a lot of questions on TAX/VAT this year, but not had the time to investigate. I’ve no doubt that someone will find this useful.

Enjoy the remainder of your day.

Hello Craig,

I have just tried to install a module via composer but I have been informed that the file". composer.jason" is not writable.

Could you give me a tip how to make it writable? One I make it writable I’ll be able to install any module via composer. I hope :slight_smile:

Could you also if you have time inform me or refer me to a link how to make ftp connection to DigitalOcen server.
In the past, I used cpanel installed on my server and used FTP account section to download a file which then I imported into FileZilla. I know what is my host but would be my pass & username?

Thank you in advance.
Regards,
Pawel

Hey,

Sound like an ownership issue due to once running a command as the incorrect user. So, I’m going to stick with the examples I used in the video for this.

Firstly, make sure you’re trying to run the composer command as magento User.

Next, from within /var/www/html, run ls -la to check ownership permissions. (You can do this as either User craig or user magento because you’re just checking something). It should look like this, where User magento is the file owner:

If you see this, then you’ve screwed up somewhere:

So, to reset the file ownership of the /var/www/html directory, you must do the following:

1. Switch to your superuser (i.e. craig): su craig
  2. Reset file/folder ownerships: sudo chown -R magento:www-data /var/www/html/

Never run any commands within /var/www/html, unless you’re switched over to the magento User. Otherwise, if I run a command as craig User then it will overwrite my file/folder permissions.

Filezilla

• Open Site Manager (top left icon)
  • Press New Site button
  • Protocol: SFTP
  • Host: Server IP
  • Login Type: Normal
  • User: This is the user you setup for Magento (i.e. magento)
  • Password: This is the password for the magento User
  • For convenience, you could also set your Default remote directory. This makes Filezilla automatically open the /var/www/html when you login rather.
  • Click Ok to save.

Thank you very, very much.

Regards,
Pawel

Hello @digitalstartup

I have encountered and error when setting up the phpmyadmin…

Error

Do you think you have any solution?

EDIT: I do have the php7.2-mbstring installed from when I installed php.

Hi @Tristan_Kuritz. There could be a few reasons for this. But if you ran into this issue whilst following along with the Guide that I wrote for installing Magento 2.3, then the only thing I can possibly think of is that you need to restart Apache (sudo systemctl restart apache2) for your extension to take effect.

Also, when I installed phpMyAdmin the only commands I needed were:

• sudo apt-get install phpmyadmin php-mbstring php-gettext -y
  • sudo systemctl restart apache2

Otherwise, if you’re doing your own thing, then I would need more details about your setup (e.g. OS, PHP version, Apache/Nginx). Also, make sure the version of PHP you were hoping to install, matches what your OS says you have active. This can be checked by running php -v from the Command Line.

Hello Craig,

Today I tried to change my Magento’s 2.3 mode to production, however, I wasn’t able to do it.

Could I kindly ask you to give me a tip what to do?
Thank you in advance.

Regards,
Pawel

3%20production%20mode

It’s impossible to say with what you’ve shown me.

What do your logs tell you? They’re located in /var/www/html/var/log/. I’m not sure which log it will be in, but just look for the one that was recently updated.

You might also want to try compiling on its own. I can’t quite remember, but I think it might give you more information when there is an issue this way. Run bin/magento setup:di:compile.

Hi Craig,

Thank you.
From what I can see there is a compatibility issue with Amnasty ShippingTableRates module.
I’ll ask them for help.

Once again thank you for your support.

Have a good Christmas.

Regards,
Pawel

No problem. Have a good one too :christmas_tree:

Hi Craig,

I’ve just updated the module to its newest version and I can turn the production mode.
So it works, however, during the update console displayed a message that:

there is no ‘unzip’ command installed zip files are being unpacked using the PHP zip extension. This may cause invalid reports of corrupted archives. Besides, any UNIX permission (e.g. executable) defined in the archives will be lost. Installing ‘unzip’ may require them.

Can you please give me a tip how to install it? I’m guessing it has to be installed.

I tried to change the magento’s mode to production to be able to add a different user. As you suggested in one of your videos we shouldn’t use a default admin account. I created as you advised one for sale, one for warehouse and one for marketing, however, I cannot create a second user via admin panel. I did some reading and found the command and created a new user via console
bin/magento admin:user:create [–<parameter_name>=, …]

I can see the user in the admin panel but I can’t really do anything with it. I can’t log in, change role, language.

Could you give me a tip what to do to be able to create new users via admin panel? At present when I try to create a new user after I click on the ‘save’ button the page reloads and land on orders which is my default page.

Thank you.

Pawel

Installing zip and unzip
So, “zip” doesn’t normally come packaged with Ubuntu, but PHP has a extension that can do zipping anyway. As the error says, it’s not critical that you have it installed. But if you do want to install it then run the below as superuser:

sudo apt-get install zip unzip -y

Creating a new Magento user
You don’t have to change Magento Modes to Add/Remove Administrators/Users for the backend. You only need to be logged in the backend as a user with Administrator privileges.

Whenever you Add/Amend a new user in the backend, you must also put your admin password at the bottom of the User Info tab - Labeled “Current User Identity Verification”. This is a security feature to verify that you have the permission to create a new user.

Don’t forget to assign the new user a role within the User Role tab. Otherwise the new user won’t be able to do anything.

This sounds like a bug and I’m unable to reproduce your issue.

Creating a new Magento user via the Command Line
Just run the below as magento user from /var/www/html/

bin/magento admin:user:create --admin-user="john_the_admin" --admin-password="abc1234" --admin-email="[email protected]" --admin-firstname="John" --admin-lastname="Smith"

As you can see, it’s broken down into several sections:

• The initial command to create the user
  • The Admin users username (john_the_admin)
  • The Admin users password (abc1234)
  • The Admin users email address ([email protected])
  • The Admin users first name (John)
  • The Admin users surname (Smith)

Hi Craig,

There is a bug in Mag. but I was able to add a new used using the command and than changed the role via admin.
I’ll leave it for now but at least I know how to bite it in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
Pawel

1 Like

Hello Carig
Actually your videos are very helpfully some of those helped me to know something about magento and I am newby to this CMS so I am looking forward to help me for fixing some issues in my website.

1 Like

Hello and Happy New Year Craig!

I installed and reinstall Magento 2.3 several times and I can do it almost with my eyes closed.
Joking. I need to refer to your video.

At the end of Magento installation, there is a message suggesting that for security I should remove write permission from directories /var/www/html/app/etc.

I know it is maybe a very silly and easy for many of you question but can you advise what exactly I need to do.

I think I need to change chmos to 555 but can you kindly confirm.
Thank you.

Regards,
Pawel

1 Like

Cool. Doing it over and over again is how I also learned. And even then, I still refer to my own article :wink:

You’re absolutely correct. I don’t do this when working in Developer Mode in case I need to change something during development - Plus, the Magento installations aren’t public whilst in development. But if you were go launch the site, it would be a good idea to follow the advice.

555 should be sufficient. You could do this in FileZilla (as per your screenshot). Alternatively, via SSH (assuming you’re in the magento root directly and logged in as the magento user:

chmod 555 app/etc/ (Read only the Folder)
or
chmod -R 555 app/etc/ (Read only the Folder and content)

I can’t remember which it tells you to do. I think it’s just the Folder. I wrote both commands just in case.

Thank you very much Craig.

Regards,
Pawel

Hello Craig,

Magento 2.3 displays this message in notifications:
“Deprecation Notice
Catalog Search is currently configured to use the MySQL engine, which has been deprecated. Consider migrating to one of the Elasticsearch engines now to ensure there are no service interruptions during your next upgrade.”

It would be great if you could produce a tutorial showing how to install and configure Elasticsearch form M2.3.

Thank you.

Regards,
Pawel

I never even saw that notice. I’m shocked. I feel like this is a big deal but don’t see any articles about it. I know that Elasticsearch support was being added to the Open Source 2.3 (already supported in Commerce). However, I don’t recall reading anywhere about the MySQL engine being deprecation at the same time as the support being added… :thinking:

To be honest, I don’t know a great deal about Elasticsearch, other than it’s an open source search engine built on Apache… Not sure what the benefits are. :confused:

I’ll have to do some more research into the why & how when I have some time. Luckily the Magento Documentation looks fairly straight forward.

If/when I cover this in a video, I’ll probably avoid going into depth with the SSL configuration and just stick with HTTP. It’s something that I’ve always avoided because there are far too many variables to cover. Plus, not everyone setting up Magento for the first time has an appropriate certificate to install anyway.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

A post was split to a new topic: Setting up sample data